AUGUSTA, Ga. – The Augusta University women's tennis team hosted its first Peach Belt Conference match of the season on Friday and won 4-3 over the Lander Bearcats at Newman Tennis Center.
AU is now 9-5 overall and 2-4 in the league. The match moved Lander to 4-10 on the season and 0-3 in the league.
Augusta and Lander split the singles matches, with each winning three, but Augusta owned two of the three doubles matches to pull out a 4-3 victory. Jags duo Ana Faria and Merye Gobernate won 6-2 at No. 2 singles and Alejandra Arranz and Maria Alice Viera owned a 6-1 score at No. 3 singles.
Augusta hosts Francis Marion on Saturday, March 23 for a 12:00 p.m. PBC match at Newman Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Lander vs Augusta
Mar 22, 2019 at Augusta, Ga.
(Newman Tennis Center)
Augusta 4, Lander 3
1. Eduarda Ferreira (LUW) def. Ana Faria (AUGWT19) 6-1, 7-5
2. Isabella Schulz (LUW) def. Eva Miralles-Miro (AUGWT19) 6-3, 6-3
3. Merye Gobernate (AUGWT19) def. Nelli Lius (LUW) 6-3, 7-5
4. Alejandra Arranz (AUGWT19) def. Lindsey Wiggins (LUW) 6-3, 6-2
5. Marie Cantenot (AUGWT19) def. Lucia Ric (LUW) 6-0, 6-3
6. Manasi Ramadani (LUW) def. Maria Alice Viera (AUGWT19) 7-5, 6-0
3. Alejandra Arranz/Maria Alice Viera (AUGWT19) def. Nelli Lius/Lindsey Wiggins (LUW) 6-1
Lander 5-10, 0-3 PBC
Augusta 9-5, 2-4 PBC
Order of Finish: Dbls 3, 1, 2 | Singles 5, 1, 2, 4, 6, 3
Fans of Jaguar Athletics can subscribe to the email listserve by clicking here. Fans can follow Augusta University at www.AugustaJags.com and receive short updates on Facebook at Augusta University Athletics and on Twitter at @AugustaJags
-- 30 --