AUGUSTA, Ga. – The GRU Augusta men's tennis team, ranked No. 21 in the nation, improved to 5-1 overall on the year with a 9-0 shutout victory over the non-conference Coker Cobras Saturday, Feb. 21 at Newman Tennis Center.
The Jaguars were flawless in doubles play, winning 24 points and dropping nine. Thomas Sevel and Moritz Gehlhaus earned the No. 1 doubles spot and won a 8-5 match to start the day. Joao Gabriel Freitas and Gustav Anderson won 8-3 in No. 2 doubles, and Romain Brunie and Gabriel dos Santos rallied for an 8-1 victory.
In singles play, GRU didn't drop a set to complete the non-conference win.
The Jags continue league play in the Peach Belt Conference with a long trip to St. Augustine, Fla., to take on Flagler on Monday, Feb. 23.
MEN'S TENNIS - GRU Augusta 9, Coker 0
1. Thomas Sevel (GRUMT15) def. Simon Bergbom (CCMT) 6-4, 6-4
2. Romain Brunie (GRUMT15) def. Mark Watt (CCMT) 6-3, 6-1
3. Moritz Gehlhaus (GRUMT15) def. Felix Schweyer (CCMT) 6-3, 6-1
4. Joao Gabriel Freitas (GRUMT15) def. Zach Grooms (CCMT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Arthur Andrade (GRUMT15) def. Dominic Allan (CCMT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Gabriel Santos (GRUMT15) def. Alex Arkin (CCMT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Thomas Sevel/Moritz Gehlhaus (GRUMT15) def. Mark Watt/Felix Schweyer (CCMT) 8-5
2. Joao Gabriel Freitas/Gustav Anderson (GRUMT15) def. Simon Bergbom/Dominic Allan (CCMT) 8-3
3. Romain Brunie/Gabriel Santos (GRUMT15) def. Zach Grooms/Alex Arkin (CCMT) 8-1
GRU Augusta 5-1