AUGUSTA, Ga. – The No. 23 GRU Augusta men are headed to the Peach Belt Conference Championships in Florence, S.C., hosted by Francis Marion from April 17-19 at the Dr. Eddie Floyd Florence Tennis Center to face the No. 21 Georgia College Bobcats.
GRU Augusta will be the No. 4 seed. Ranked No. 23 in the nation, the Jaguars were 16-5 overall, 6-3 in conference play; their best league winning percentage ever. GRU also has their highest tournament seed ever and hope to return to the championship match, which they reached for the first time in 2011.
GRU will face fifth-seeded Georgia College in the first round of the tournament. The Bobcats enter the PBC with wins in five of their last seven matches and a No. 21 national ranking. GC will be looking for their first appearance in the championship match since 2008.
JAGUAR MEN'S STARTING LINEUP
- Victor Cabellos 7-13 (No. 1 singles: 5-8, No. 2 singles: 2-5 / Doubles No. 1 w/ Victor Guimaraes: 17-4, 5-3 PBC)
- Romain Ferreria 10-8 (No. 2 singles: 6-5. No. 1 singles: 4-3 / Doubles No. 2 w/ Romain Brunie: 13-6, 5-3 PBC)
- Romain Brunie 7-2 (No. 3 singles: 7-2 / Doubles No. 2 w/ Romain Ferreria: 13-6, 5-3 PBC)
- Victor Guimaraes (No. 4 singles: 9-7, No. 2 singles 2-0 / Doubles No. 1 w/ Victor Cabellos: 17-4, 5-3 PBC)
- Joao Gabriel Freitas 14-5 (No. 5 singles: 10-3, No. 6: 1-2 / Doubles No. 3 with Arthure Andrade: 2-3, w/ Gustav Anderson No.3: 2-0, w/ Maxime Coulomb No.3: 5-3)
- Gustav Anderson 10-5 (No. 6 singles: 6-2, No. 5 singles: 2-3 / Doubles No. 3 w/ Nameer Shamsi: 2-2, w/ Joao Freitas No. 3 2-0, No. 2 1-0)
At last year's PBC Tennis Championships, the Jaguar men did a clean sweep of Flagler in the men's elimination round, beating the Saints 5-0 -led by No. 1 singles player Victor Cabellos and the No. 1 doubles team of Cabellos and Victor Guimaraes. GRU was unable to triumph in the next round (men's fifth-place bracket) over tourney hosts Francis Marion. The Patriots won the first three singles matches, before Romain Brunie took the first GRU match 6-2, 6-2. Three consecutive doubles match victories for FMU knocked off the Jags 5-1 in their final round.