AUGUSTA, Ga. – The Augusta University men's tennis team hosted a Peach Belt Conference match against the No. 8 nationally-ranked Lander Bearcats on Friday afternoon and lost 7-2 at Newman Tennis Center.
The PBC match moved the Jags to 6-9 overall and 1-5 in the league, while Lander went to 11-2 on the season and 4-1 in the Peach Belt.
No. 10 in the nation for men's singles, AU junior Patrick Oliveira pulled out a three-set win at No. 1 singles – defeating David Korsten 6-2, 2-6, and 10-8. Lander won the next five singles matches and took two of three in doubles.
Augusta hosts Montevallo on Sunday, March 18 for a 12:00 p.m. non-conference match at Newman Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Lander vs Augusta University
Mar 16, 2018 at Augusta, Ga.
(Newman Tennis Center)
#8 Lander 7, Augusta University 2
1. Patrick Oliveira (AUGMT18) def. David Korsten (LU) 6-2, 2-6, 10-8
2. Eirik Groner (LU) def. Alan Vilaro (AUGMT18) 6-1, 6-0
3. Ozan Cildir (LU) def. Gaspard Mathieu (AUGMT18) 6-1, 6-4
4. Axel Cronje (LU) def. Moritz Gehlhaus (AUGMT18) 6-4, 0-2, retired
5. Tommaso Rossin (LU) def. Gabriel Dos Santos (AUGMT18) 6-4, 6-0
6. Philippe Courteau (LU) def. Martin Hurtado (AUGMT18) 7-5, 4-6, 10-4
Lander 11-2, 4-1 PBC; National
Fans of Jaguar Athletics can subscribe to the email listserve by clicking here. Fans can follow Augusta University at www.AugustaJags.com and receive short updates on Facebook at Augusta University Athletics and on Twitter at @AugustaJags
-- 30 --